Monday, September 24, 2012

A Sprint Not a Marathon

Or is it “a marathon, not a sprint”?  Either way it involves running.  Something I haven’t done since the 80’s, and even then, I was just running after the ice cream truck. 

Well, I had a weekend full of indulging on the following: (you know how much I enjoy making a list)
1.       a bite of a corn dog (aka “just the tip”),
2.       mac n cheese,
3.      meatloaf,
4.      a wine tasting
5.       and the piece de resistance…Mamaw’s fried okra (you wouldn’t have turned it down either). 
Even though I tried the whole “in moderation” thing, I still made horrible choices and knew I had to do something to make up for it.  Enter the Couch to 5k challenge.  I belong to a super elite and private Facebook Fit group (ONLY 6,198 members…Hair Flip) and many members have been talking about this challenge so I decided it was time for Fluffy to get all “Run Forrest Run” and give it a go. 

First things first… I checked my app store to see if there was an app for that.  Well paint me red and call me a barn…THERE IS! I added the free app and my life changed forever. Ok, so maybe it wasn’t that life altering but it’s a damn cool app.  It tells you exactly what you need to do and when you need to do it.  Check it out… 


Day one included a 5 minute “brisk” walk followed by 20 minutes of running for a minute then walking for a minute and a half.  Walk, run, repeat.  I turned on Pandora and sang along to “apple bottom jeans, boots with the furrrrr”.  I was KILLING IT!  Why haven’t I tried this sooner?  Oh yes, that was only 7 minutes in and I was still on a high.  Fast forward 13 minutes and I thought I was going to die.  I was dry heaving and sweating in rolls I didn’t even know I had.  I wanted nothing more than to collapse on my neighbor’s freshly cut lawn in the fetal position and just listen to the remainder of the workout in my headphones.   Then my (current) favorite song streamed through my headphones and I was filled with motivation and drive.  I was pushing harder (that’s what he said) and even began to throw my hands in the air and dance/run along to the music.  (true story.  My neighbors got quite the show of Fluffy in Spandex).  If this song doesn’t make you want to “whistle while you work it”, then I don’t know what will.  (this link only works on a desktop)
If this song didn't make you wanna shake your booty,well, you just suck.  End of story. 

As the song came to a close, so did my workout.  I EFFING DID IT!  I finished the hard part (that’s what she said) and was now on my cool down.  As I listened to New Kids on the Block (my cool points are at an all time low), my eyes began to sweat.  I think some people call this “tears”.  I am not one of these people.  Yes, my eyeballs began to sweat as a feeling of accomplishment swept over my body.  I am not a runner and never have been so this is HUGE to me (again..that’s what she said).  I know it’s only one 20 minute walk/run but that’s one more than I did last week dammit and I’m proud.  As I made the last turn to my house, the sun was setting and it was definitely a “moment” for me. 

Every day is your opportunity to start the next chapter of your life.  So stop making excuses and start writing that new chapter!!!!! 

One small step for man, one giant Denim Dip for Fluffy,
Fluffy in Frisco

No comments:

Post a Comment